A drug list is a list of preferred drugs available to BCBSTX members. How much you pay out-of-pocket for prescription drugs is determined by whether your medication is on the list. These prescription drug lists have different levels of coverage, which are called "tiers." Generally, how much you pay out of pocket for a prescription drug will be less if you choose a drug that is a lower tier.
The drug lists below are used with your health plan if all of these apply to you:
- You enrolled in a plan on your own (instead of through your employer),
- Your coverage began on or after January 1, 2014, and
- Your plan is a "metallic" health plan, which can include a Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Multi-State or Catastrophic plan.
Your prescription drug benefits through BCBSTX may be based on one of two different drug lists:
- A Standard Drug List is a list of preferred drugs which are considered to be safe and cost-effective.
- A Generics Plus Drug List is a smaller version of the Standard Drug List. It covers drugs for the major drug classes, but includes mostly generic drugs and fewer brand-name drugs.
These drugs lists are effective January 1, 2014:
Want to know which Drug List your Texas Health Insurance Marketplace plan uses?